Welcome to the 2005 resource list for You don't look like a librarian!.
- November 22, 2005: Check out the fun-tastic Librarian Trading Cards group on Flickr, and the associated Librarian Trading Cards Blog!
- October 27, 2005: Just got back from another excellent Internet Librarian conference... attended some great sessions, learned a lot of new stuff, and picked up on some nifty new webmastering toys to play with!
- October 25, 2005 Kilen, Mike. Our librarians, our heroes. The Des Moines Register, October 23, 2005
- October 14, 2005: I have seen the enemy, and she is me., a blog posting from Your Fairy Bookmother (aka Rachael Vilmar). A thoughtful commentary... has made me stop and reconsider a few things myself!
- September 21, 2005: Kertscher, Tom. "Check this out: Librarians flash some skin for a good cause". Another librarians-as-Calendar-Girls calendar, this time as a fundraiser for the Waupaca, Wisconsin area libraries.
- September 20, 2005: Holy Transformation! Watch as Gotham City's favorite librarian Barbara Gordon becomes Batgirl with a only few flashy accessories and a skirt that doubles as a cape! Thanks, Liz!
- September 18, 2005: Harlow, John. "Move over Buffy, itís Librarian Lady". Times Online, September 18, 2005.
- September 16, 2005: I just found this amusingly accurate stereotype survey by Paul Green at Warrior Librarian Weekly. (Thanks for the tip o'the hat, Paul!)
- September 15, 2005: Check out the Librarian Pin-Up Poster over at art.com. I don't know whether to open a discussion on the stereotype, or buy one of the prints!
- September 12, 2005: Yes, Barbie as a librarian just keeps returning. Library Journal asked an illustrator to model Librarian Barbie - is it just me, or does she look suspiciously like a blonde Nancy Pearl figure? Librayr Journal, September 1, 2005 (may require login)
- September 6, 2005: Gee, thanks, ABC! Check out the "wish list" for the next season of the TV series Extreme Makeover; the second entry is "Cancer Survivor or Librarian", following after their most-desired Prosthetic Story but before Medical Miracles or Small Town Girl. Sigh.
- August 23, 2005: Check out Robin K. Blum's interview with Nancy Pearl, on the LISNews site!
- August 19, 2005: Check out Archie McPhee's new Deluxe Librarian Action Figure!
- August 15, 2005: Go, Diann! "Librarian pulls her weight as strongwoman". "By day, Diann Smothers works as 'The Mighty Librarian,' a research and instruction business librarian [...]. By night, she assumes the identity of 'The Mighty Neutron,' a name she calls herself when training for strongwoman competitions." Northeastern News, August 10, 2005.
- August 9, 2005: "Kids, Not Parents, Imagine Barbie as a Librarian" - an update on the "What should Barbie be next" poll.
- August 8, 2005: Thanks to Trish Cleary for pointing these out to me - posters at ALA Graphics! Be sure to check out the Batgirl and Nancy Pearl ones! You can order them right from the ALA Store.
- August 8, 2005: Fenger, Darin. "A lively librarian." Featured People article, Yuma Sun, 2 August 2005. "After a long week of working with Dewey Decimal, librarian Sarah Wisdom loves nothing better than hitting the road - on a Harley." Go, Sarah!
- July 15, 2005: Check it out: Librarians in glasses!
- July 13, 2005: Gee, thanks, Redbook. Check out their summer contests - especially the one for new glasses. I quote: " Pull off the sexy librarian look -- or just spice up your everyday style -- with new frames and lenses.". There's that sexy librarian again!
- July 11, 2005: Scott, Samuel. "Harvard Files Motion to Recover $3,319 From Librarian". The Harvard Crimson Online, 08 July 2005. More on Desiree Godwin and Harvard's actions, and the possibility of unions getting involved.
- July 1, 2005: Atkins, Kimberly. "Harvard demands redress from 'sexy' librarian". Boston Herald, 30 June 2005. Remember Desiree Godwin, the librarian who sued Harvard for discrimination alleging she'd been passed over for promotion because she dressed too sexily? Here's the latest.... ouch.
- July 1, 2005: An interview with Desiree Godwin, the above-mentioned librarian, can be found at LISnews (24 May 2005).
- June 15, 2005: Yes, there'll be another one! Noah Wyle returns as Flynn Carsen in "The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines", which will start filming next month. Jonathan Frakes (of ST:TNG) will be directing.
- June 15, 2005: Reinhart, Anthony. Librarians as tech-savvy sleuths. A short piece on the recent SLA annual meeting - and how it's time to chuck that old stereotype out the window!
- June 2, 2005: A bracelet for us! Check out Libraries Matter for a blue bracelet (similar to the yellow "Live Strong" cancer awareness bracelets) for library awareness. Does your library sell them?
- June 2, 2005: A band after my own heart.... kinda. Speed metal band BlöödHag plays "short, heavy-metal songs about science fiction and fantasy authors". During shows - including ones at libraries - they throw copies of books at the audience. Book them for your next get-together!
- May 25, 2005: This site has been on hiatus for the last couple of months since I had to take a break to have a baby! I'm back now, and trying to catch up on journals, magazines, blogs and stuff; please check back for more info soon!
- February 23, 2005: Voutier, Catherine. "The Librarian as Hero". First appeared in Health Inform and then was posted to The Young Librarian web site in January 2004. An Aussie after my own heart!
- February 6, 2005: Miss the sshhh? Visit Steve Garwood's Sshhing Librarian website!
- February 1, 2005: DiMattia, Susan. "Silence is Olden". American Libraries, January 2005, p. 48-51. True words! (You can read this online if you're a member of ALA.)
- January 31, 2005: Still need a calendar? Get Nancy Pearl's Book Lust 2005 calendar!
- January 31, 2005: Fleming, John. "Libraries, the Princeton campus's unknown repository of sexiness". The Daily Princetonian, 17 January 2005. We like Dr. Fleming!!
Resources and interesting information from 2004.
Earlier resources (not guaranteed to be reliable links anymore, these are 2002-2003 articles)
Ruth A. Kneale, email@example.com,
No, I don't look like a librarian.